Instagram has launched a new feature that mirrors the concept of its competitor TikTok: the Instagram Reels.
There’s some big news in the digital world!
The social network giant Instagram launched for the very first time at the end of 2019 a brand new way to create content on the platform: Instagram Reels. Available only in Brazil at its launch, Instagram Reels is now accessible to Android and iOS users in a large number of countries, including Canada.
This new content format allows you to create and share 15-second videos with others on the “Explore” page in a space dedicated to these new videos that will soon take over your feed. With this new feature on its platform, many influencers and digital specialists criticize the fact that Instagram is once again trying to copy its competitors, as they did for the very first time when they tried to reproduce the Snapchat “stories” the platform seems to have been inspired by TikTok, the new trendy social network of the moment, which is perfectly suited for the Z generation.
Indeed, TikTok is a downloadable platform for iPhone and Android, which allows its users to create video clips where they can showcase their creativity, their singing and dancing skills, or create videos with special effects worthy of a Hollywood production. These clips can be up to one minute long, and can be shared across the TikTok platform only. It is also possible to upload your own music and create online singing “duets” with the users of your choice.
For all these reasons, TikTok has been an unprecedented success in 2020, and let’s add to this the global pandemic of COVID-19, which forced many users to confine themselves for several months. Many took the opportunity to start producing these fun videos, and it was only natural that many celebrities followed the move in order to get closer to their community. Among them we can count @aliciakeys @arianagrande @iamcardib @justinbieber or even @willsmith, but some companies have also appeared, such as @fentyskin.
Just like TikTok, Instagram Reels will allow you to create creative content and clips as short as 15 seconds to share with your followers. These video clips can contain music, text, audio, stickers, and special effects.
Unlike TikTok which has the “For You” page to present relevant videos, Instagram gives Reels a dedicated space at the top of the “Explore” page. Just touch the first Reels at the top, and you can access the Reels feed. From there you will see Reels from popular and trendy accounts on Instagram.
Other differences remain between the two platforms:
– Instagram Reels allows the creation of videos with a 15 second limit.
– Reels shared in Stories will disappear after 24 hours.
– Duoing between two users or downloading files from the phone is not allowed.
You also need to be able to distinguish between Instagram Stories and Reels:
– Reels offer several editing tools and augmented reality effects.
– Reels offer speed options: speed up or slow down sections of your video or audio according to your choice.
– Reels allow you to set the timer to record your clips in hands-free mode for a period of time of your choice.
– Reels can be shared with Explore and in Stories. When you upload a reel, you can also choose to publish it in your feed. All reels you create will also appear in a dedicated section of your profile, like IGTV videos.
– If you include original audio (sounds that you record in your video), your audio will be assigned to you, and other users can use it to create new reels.
Finally, to create a reel, simply choose the Reels option on the slider at the bottom when you are about to create content.
This brand new launch of Reels is without a doubt a new communication channel open to brands to announce, work on their visibility and their image! Read our next article to find out how to use Reels to increase your brand’s online presence.
Empower’s Digital Assistant transforms the way online marketing is rendered, making it simple, efficient, and affordable.
Click here for more information and to get started: https://empower.social/pricing/